An excerpt from my Young Adult novel-in-progress was recently published in Enizagam Magazine where it was a literary award finalist. I’ve also had my nonfiction published in The Sun, Reader’s Digest, and Six Hens, a journal of women’s writing.
Other honors include:
- Vermont College of Fine Arts, Norma Fox Mazer Award, Honorable Mention, 2023.
- Hewnoaks, Artist Residency, 2019.
- Enizagam Magazine, Literary Award Finalist, 2018.
- New Millennium Writings, Flash Fiction Awards, Honorable Mention, 2016.
- Bellevue Literary Review, Goldenberg Prize for fiction, Final round, 2015.
- Hunger Mountain, Katherine Paterson Prize for Young Adult and Children’s Writing,
- Maine Literary Awards, Twice served as a judge for the category of Young People’s
My first published writing was a short essay on the subject “Going Home” for the Readers Write section of the literary journal, The Sun. I was thrilled to see my five paragraphs in print, and even more thrilled when I got an email from Reader’s Digest asking to reprint it. Since then, that short essay has been read as part of the Women’s Project theater auditions for Hamilton-Gibson Productions in Pennsylvania, and recorded in a podcast for the sight-impaired through the Automated Internet Reading Service of Los Angeles. It’s amazing to me how much reach a single, short piece can have.
In addition to writing, I work as a substitute children’s librarian in Maine. I also love meeting and working with other writers through organizations such as the Maine Writers and Publishers Alliance, the Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, the Highlights Foundation, and the International Women’s Writing Guild where I served on the Advisory